Volunteer applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied! We'll see you at the Festival!
We believe this volunteer experience is like no other. The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is thrilled with its volunteer community; we couldn’t do this without you! Community, collaboration and great music continue to bring together a community of volunteers dedicated to planning and producing a world-class event.
We are honoured & grateful to live, create and play on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples – sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) nations, and the beloved home of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) nation where the festival occurs.
About the Festival
The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is a unique, community-based celebration of the finest in contemporary and traditional folk and roots music. It is an event that connects generations of families, groups of friends, and community members who come to enjoy the music, dance, food, children’s activities, and the very special ambiance of Jericho Beach, one of Vancouver’s seaside jewels.
Volunteers help create an amazing Festival year after year. Our team of 1200+ volunteers, in collaboration with staff, have mastered the art of establishing a multi-faceted village of entertainment and enjoyment. Together we create a supportive and appreciative space for artists to collaborate and perform; a welcoming, safe and comfortable space for audience members of all ages and backgrounds to enjoy the artists and their music, the festival and the park; an area for community organizations to engage and tell the audience about the good work they are doing; a festival that is environmentally aware and sustainable, and so much more!
Read our Volunteer Value Statement here.
Read our Justice, Equity, Diversity, And Inclusion Statement here.
The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is eager to get back to celebrating live music with our community. As we return, we are dedicated to keeping our folkies, volunteers, staff, and our community safe.
Government-issued proof of vaccination (currently 2 vaccines) will be required for the following volunteer committees during the 2022 Vancouver Folk Music Festival: Accessibility (in the tent), Artist Check-In, Backstage Lounge, Box Office, CD Tent, Beer Garden Cashiers, Gate Scanners, Festival Merchandise, Green Room, Operations Support, Stage, Volunteer Gate, Weekend Transportation & Will Call.
We thank you for your understanding and for continuing to support the Vancouver Folk Music Festival, and our commitment to the community! These requirements reflect the information we have right now. We know public health orders, mandates, and recommendations are subject to change. Vaccine policy and public health orders may change before the event, and ticket refunds will not be given as a result of such changes except in the event of a full event cancellation.
Commitments may vary depending on when and where you are assigned:
- Pre & Post Festival Volunteers are required to volunteer a total of 30 hours.
- Festival Weekend Volunteers are required to volunteer a total of 15 hours. Some volunteers may be scheduled for combination of Pre/Post and Weekend hours and will have time commitments adjusted accordingly.
Please note: not all jobs are created equal, but all jobs are valued highly. Each team is dependent on another and only through this connectedness can we unite the community of the Folk Festival into a cohesive unit. Each committee is thoroughly reviewed to assess an appropriate number of volunteer hours conducive to the Festival’s success.
- All volunteers are required to attend mandatory onsite committee meetings in the week immediately preceding the Festival weekend.
- All NEW volunteers are required to attend a newbie meeting in early July. Watch your emails for the date!
- Depending on your committee, you may also have to attend an offsite committee meeting in June.
Some committees require additional information along with the application. Please include all documents in your application, or in a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Driver's abstract: required for all driving positions
- Serving It Right certificate: required for all committees that handle alcoholic beverages
- Sample of work: required for Photography and Video committees
- Food Safe: recommended for all committees that handle food (not required)
We take our volunteers very seriously. Any volunteers who fail to adhere to the Festival Code Of Conduct, who fail to arrive for their shifts, or who display irresponsible behaviour will not be allowed to return the following year.
We also expect all our volunteers to have fun!! Smile, make friends, and enjoy yourselves - this is YOUR Festival!
In addition to joining an amazing community of like-minded individuals that make up the thousands-strong Festival, all volunteers will receive the following:
- Full weekend entry to the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- A digital/printable Festival program, Volunteer Handbook, and Volunteer T-shirt
- Entry to the Festival backstage rest and beverage area
- A food truck meal voucher
- And of course good times, awesome people, and amazing music!
The Festival is known for offering a safe community and work environment to its artists, volunteers, and staff. Fostering such an environment includes:
- respectful treatment of volunteers by staff members
- training sessions and support from the Manager of Volunteer Operations and Support Team to ensure a safe and secure work experience
- compliance with provincial health and safety regulations; meeting all necessary legal requirements to protect its volunteers
- a Volunteer Review Committee, with representation from the Festival's Board of Directors, to listen to and address volunteer grievances and/or concerns
- a detailed volunteer handbook will be provided electronically to all volunteers
You are responsible for yourself. You assume full responsibility and liability for your participation in and attendance at the Festival. This means you also assume all risks and dangers incidental to the VFMF, including loss or damage to property, personal injury, exposure to and illness from infectious diseases (including but not limited to COVID-19), or death, and hereby forever release and discharge the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society, and their officers, directors, employees, volunteers, contractors, agents, and representatives harmless from any claim arising from such risk, even if arising from the negligence of the VFMF, the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society, or their officers, directors, employees, volunteers, contractors, agents or representatives, or by third parties.
Vancouver Folk Music Festival Volunteer Value Statement:
Volunteers are essential to the operation, and integral to the success and ability of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival in carrying out its mission and vision.
The VFMF values the time, talent, experience, knowledge, and commitment contributed by our volunteers. We value volunteering as an opportunity for people to connect, engage and discover joint solutions through the sharing of an individual's experience both outside and within the Festival. We are committed to offering our volunteers appropriate and meaningful responsibilities, suitable orientation and training, effective leadership, evaluation, and recognition. Volunteers are expected to be dedicated to the mission and vision of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival, to perform their duties to the best of their abilities, and to be ambassadors of the Festival, sharing the joy and passion of the Festival with all involved including each other, the artists, and the public.