The 2022 Annual General Meeting of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society was held on Tuesday, March 15th, 2022. Thank you to all who attended!
Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society
Board of Directors Job Description
The Board is composed of 7-12 democratically elected Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society members in good standing.
This is a board that gets work done. Board members are required to be motivated and actively contribute each month.
The Board advises, governs, oversees policy and direction, and assists with the leadership and general promotion of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
- Organizing of the Board of Directors and committees
- Providing of leadership and advisement
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Development and oversight of policies and procedures
- Hiring and supervision of the Artistic Executive Director
- Fundraising, outreach, and promotion of the organization
- Coordinating personnel evaluations and supporting staff during hiring
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
Length of term
- Board terms are 3 years, able to be renewed once for a maximum of 2 terms (6 years).
Meetings and Time Commitment
- The Board of Directors meet monthly
- Standing Committees meet as needed (minimum of 5 hrs/month). Includes Personnel, Fundraising, Finance, Governance, and JEDI&A (Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility)
- Reply to email requests from staff, Board members, and others in a timely manner
- Organize and support events and fundraising efforts
Expectations of Board Members
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as needed
- Sit on at least one Standing Committee
- Ensure financial responsibility by approving annual budget, oversee adherence to it
- Participate in strategic planning processes to review purposes, priorities, funding needs
Desired Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- Experience and interest supporting the development and implementation of fundraising strategies, activities and events to further the Society
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: Organizational development and leadership, accounting and finance, board governance and law, fundraising and donor relationships, human resource management, justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Prior non-profit management and/or board experience an asset
Vancouver Folk Music Festival Standing Committees
• Executive Committee Coordinate the meetings and activities of the Board of Directors.
• Finance Committee Oversee effective and efficient financial planning and management.
• Fundraising Committee Engage appropriate individuals and organizations for financial support of the society.
• Governance Committee Review and implement society and Board policy.
• JEDI&A Committee Aspires to ensure the festival is a place of justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
• Personnel Committee Ensure a healthy work environment and culture for those engaged in society activities.
We actively invite members to come work with us, if you are interested in participating in one of the committees (other than the Executive or Personnel Committee), please contact: email@example.com.