Apply to Join the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Board of Directors
The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is looking for leaders to serve on our Board of Directors. Come join a fun group of music lovers who are committed to the community, the environment, and musical diversity and discovery.
We're looking to increase the range of skills and perspective on our board, and for candidates with experience in the particular areas:
• Organizational Development and Leadership
• Fundraising and Donor Relationships
• Human Resource Management
Candidates must be Society Members three months before the AGM
Interested candidates are invited to apply via the following process:
1. Review the Board Member Job Description (see below)
2. Complete the Expression of Interest form (see below) and submit along with your CV/resume to email@example.com. The Board will schedule a Meet and Greet with you.
The Board is composed of 7-12 democratically elected Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society members in good standing.
This is a board that gets work done. Board members are required to be motivated and actively contribute.
The Board will advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival Society so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
- Organization of the Board of Directors and committees
- Provision of leadership and advisement
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Hiring and supervision of the Artistic Management Director
- Fundraising, outreach and promotion of the organization
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Coordinating personnel evaluations and supporting staff during hiring
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
Length of term: Board terms are 1-3 years, renewable at the end of each term at the AGM.
Meetings and Time Commitment
- The Board of Directors meets monthly
- Standing Committees meet as needed (average of 2-5 hrs/month). Includes Personnel, Fundraising, Finance and Governance.
- Reply to email requests from staff, Board members, or others in a timely manner
- Organize and support events and fundraising efforts
Expectations of Board Members
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events if possible
- Sit on at least one Standing Committee
- Ensure financial responsibility by approving annual budget, overseeing adherence to it
- Participate in strategic planning processes to review purposes, priorities, funding needs
Desired Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- Experience and interest supporting the development and implementation of fundraising strategies, activities and events to further the VFMF Society
- Experience in human resource management, developing policies, strategic planning
- Prior non-profit management and/or board experience an asset
Thank you for your interest.
Please email your expression of interest, along with your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Elections will take place at the society’s next AGM.