Thank you to all of our wonderful 2016 volunteers! Please check back in Spring 2017 for next year’s application.
The Vancouver Folk Music Festival is a unique, community-based celebration of the finest in contemporary and traditional folk and roots music from around the world. It is an event that connects generations of families, groups of friends, and community members who come to enjoy the music, dance, food, children’s activities, and the very special ambiance of Jericho Beach, one of Vancouver’s seaside jewels.
Volunteers help create a successful Festival year after year. We believe this volunteer experience is like no other. Our team of 1400+ volunteers, in collaboration with staff, have mastered the art of establishing a multi-faceted village of entertainment and enjoyment. Together we create a supportive and appreciative space for artists to collaborate and perform; a welcoming, safe and comfortable space for audience members of all ages and backgrounds to enjoy the artists and their music, the festival and the park; an area for community organizations to engage and tell the audience about the good work they are doing; a festival that is environmentally aware and sustainable, and so much more!
Come join us for the 40th annual VFMF in 2017!
Read our Volunteer Value Statement here.
Anyone 14 and over can apply to be a volunteer! Browse through our website and familiarize yourself with all things Folk. Review the Committee Descriptions and then head over to our online Volunteer Application Agreement and Form and you’re on your way!
Please note that The Vancouver Folk Music Festival abides by all required Human Rights and Non-discrimination legislation when selecting and assigning volunteers. No person will be denied the ability to volunteer for any reason or combination of reasons covered by said legislation.
- All Volunteers must fill out an Application form. The deadline to apply is typically 1-2 weeks prior to the Festival.
- All information must be filled out fully and accurately to ensure placement.
- Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you once you have been accepted – please be patient as we receive a high volume of applications.
- Volunteer positions are filled based on previous Festival experience, work and life related skills, and selected committee preferences. Keep in mind that some committees require specific skills and qualifications. Please describe your relevant experience in your application.
- Once accepted you will be assigned to a committee, and your committee coordinator will provide all the specific information about requirements and scheduling.
- Pre-festival volunteers may be asked to begin as early as May 15th. Meetings and training will precede this start date if applicable.
The Volunteer Commitments may vary depending on when and where you are assigned. Pre & Post Festival Volunteers are required to volunteer a total of 30 hours. Festival Weekend Volunteers are required to volunteer a total of 15 hours. Some volunteers may be scheduled a combination of Pre/Post and Weekend hours and will have time commitments adjusted accordingly.
Please note: not all jobs are created equal, but all jobs are valued highly. Each team is dependent on another and only through this connectedness can we unite the community of the Folk Festival into a cohesive unit. Each committee is thoroughly reviewed to assess an appropriate number of volunteer hours conducive to the Festival’s success.
- All volunteers are required to attend mandatory onsite committee meetings in the week immediately preceding the Festival weekend.
- All NEW volunteers are required to attend a newbie meeting in early July. Watch your emails for the date!
- Depending on which committee you are assigned to, volunteers may also have to attend an offsite committee meeting in June.
Some committees require additional information to be sent along with the application. Please include all additional documents in your application, or in a separate email to email@example.com.
- All positions involving driving require a driver’s abstract to be submitted.
- Committees that handle alcoholic beverages require a Serving It Right certificate.
- The Photography and Video committees require a sample of work be sent along with the application.
- Food Safe is recommended for all committees that handle food, but is not required.
We take our volunteers very seriously. Any volunteers who fail to adhere to the Festival Code Of Conduct, who fail to arrive for their shifts, or who display irresponsible behaviour, will not be allowed to return the following year.
We also expect all our volunteers to have fun!! Smile, make friends, and enjoy yourselves – this is YOUR Festival!
In addition to joining an amazing community of like-minded individuals that make up the thousands strong Festival, all volunteers will receive the following:
- Full weekend entry to the Vancouver Folk Music Festival
- A Festival program guide, Volunteer Handbook, and Volunteer T-shirt
- Entry to the Festival backstage area
- Entry to the Volunteer After-Party
- Fantastic Food: Friday, Saturday & Sunday dinner, and Saturday & Sunday lunch
- Cash breakfast available Saturday and Sunday
- And of course good times, awesome people, and amazing music!
The Festival is known for offering a safe community and work environment to its artists, volunteers, and staff. Fostering such an environment includes:
- respectful treatment of volunteers by staff members
- training sessions and support from the Volunteer Coordinator and Support Team to ensure a safe and secure work experience
- compliance with provincial heath and safety regulations; meeting all necessary legal requirements to protect its volunteers
- a Volunteer Review Committee, with representation from the Festival’s Board of Directors, to listen to and address volunteer grievances and/or concerns
- a detailed volunteer handbook will be provided electronically to all volunteers
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.602.9798 ex. 404 to speak with the VFMF volunteer coordinator!
Volunteers are essential to the operation, and integral to the success and ability of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival in carrying out its mission and vision.
The VFMF values the time, talent, experience, knowledge, and commitment contributed by our volunteers. We value volunteering as an opportunity for people to connect, engage and discover joint solutions through the sharing of an individual’s experience both outside and within the Festival. We are committed to offering our volunteers appropriate and meaningful responsibilities, suitable orientation and training, effective leadership, evaluation, and recognition. Volunteers are expected to be dedicated to the mission and vision of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival, to perform their duties to the best of their abilities, and to be ambassadors of the Festival, sharing the joy and passion of the Festival with all involved including each other, the artists, and the public.